Featured post

Calcutta Revisited

My City Chapter I A few days ago, a couple of friends came visiting along with their 4 year old son; both my college buddies and bo...

Thursday 10 December 2009

Not so cartoonesque

Consider the word 'Marhaban'. Something inexplicably sensuous about it although it only means 'hello!'..(I think...). Actually, something inexplicably sensuous about the language. Arabian nights and Arabian days...

A foreign language, a foreign people, their thoughts, their trials and tribulations, their love, their hatred, hopes, dreams and despair, their lives..the language learns them. And when they speak it, it's poetry. It's the mirage that tantalizes and eventually leaves high and dry..because you'll never know!

Before I die, I shall have known the language well enough to have had a torrid affair with it..

Ma-sah-lama! Ilâ alliqa'!!

No comments: